It is clear that I have a MySpace addiction, characterized by mindlessly clicking the “home” icon every five seconds for God knows what reason. Therefore, I decided to draw a pact with myself concerning my MySpace behaviors. This is the first draft:
1. I will log in once a day maximum (and not in the mornings), except to post new entries on my blog. The time spent interacting socially with fellow Myspacers will be limited to under 30 minutes.
2. If you want me to stay informed of your life, invite me for subscription to your blog and make it a work of art (I really do read my subscription posts and post blog comments when I see fit). Otherwise, I will not visit my friends’ profiles on any regular basis.
3. I’m always looking for literary and artistic affliations. If you are a brilliant writer/poet/theorist/artist, I’d love to continue our exchange on MySpace. If you’d like to collaborate with me on an art project, or model for me, please contact me in order to meet in person. I’ll do the same.
4. I’ll read the bulletin boards sporadically but probably won’t feel the urge to respond. I really appreciate people who post thought-provoking bulletins sparingly. I’m also a big sucker for striking imagery and/or surprising juxtaposition of words.
5. I’ll continue to respond to blog comments if I think it contributes to going deeper into the subject matter discussed. I can’t decide if this counts as interacting socially with MySpacers or not , but I am the sole person responsible for my behavior and I take full responsibility for any breach with this pact.
I’d be interested in hearing your pact with the MySpace devil.